We arrived at De Warenmarkt one windy evening, not knowing quite what to expect from this collective of merchants all housed in one 18th-century historical building. Needless to say that we were absolutely blown away by what we experienced and ended up staying until closing time!!
De Warenmarkt is divided into:
1. Simon Wine Bar (tapas and wine)
2. Kaapse Vonkel (MCC and oyster bar)
3. Their Kitchen (comprised of Ryan Boon Meats, waffles, specialty coffees, burgers and almost anything else that your heart could desire).
We kicked off our evening with some fresh Saldanha Bay oysters topped with Rozendal Botanical Vinegar and paired with a bottle of Simonsig Kaapse Vonkel Brut Rose 2015 MCC. The perfect way to start any evening really must be at the Kaapse Vonkel MCC and Oyster Bar!
Then, after examining the 'SIMON' menu (named after their founding father Simon van der Stel), we selected a bottle of Vriesenhof Pinot Noir 2014 by Winemaker Jan "boland" Coetzee to enjoy and some sharing plates:
- Halloumi served with the spicy green goddess dressing, tomato, mint, rocket and lime.
- Ryan Boon Beef Tartare Perfection served traditionally with a raw egg yolk, and rye bread.
- Norwegian Salmon Poke: Freshly cut Norwegian Salmon with Asian-inspired flavours.
Such vastly different dishes, but the De Warenmarkt team managed to execute them well and our dishes arrived plated beautifully!
Our waiter (all the way from Richards Bay) gave us five star service that one could expect anywhere in the country. He was completely attentive throughout the evening!
In summary, I love that De Warenmarkt caters for indecisive women like me, who can never decide what we want to eat or drink. I also love that it is so widely supported by the locals in the area (which to me is always a good sign). On a midweek evening, the place was full and we thoroughly enjoyed our visit to this gem in the heart of Stellenbosch!
*Recommendation: I would recommend De Warenmarkt as having something for absolutely every taste imaginable and excellent quality meals!